Saturday 13 June 2009

How Do I Know It's Summer?

We have had a few weeks of hot weather so far, though lately it hasn't been too bad.

But that's not how I know it's summer.

People are wearing shorts and sandals, and the sun hats/visors/umbrellas are out in full force.

But that's not how I know it's summer.

I walked into my older elementary class the other night and found, written on the whiteboard, the following demand: "Give me ice cream or I won't do my homework!"

That's how I know it's summer.

Indeed, the ice cream thing seems to be getting out of hand. Two younger elementary girls asked me recently when I was going to buy them ice cream. I was a bit taken aback, and asked what they meant. They replied that their former teacher often bought them ice cream.

"Often?" I asked.

"Yes," they assured me, "every day."

The boldness of the claim put a smile on my face, as did the other students' demand, though in that case I had to let them know that "give me" was not appropriate, unless I had a gun in my face.

The girls also threw hamburgers into the equation, so I'm half-expecting them to dream up more foodstuffs, seemingly denied their classroom rights as they are.

So, as I bemoan the over-generosity of some former teacher and the drain it may place on my wallet (there is, unfortunately, a Baskin-Robbins close to our school), I can at least rest content in knowing that summer is here at last.

No comments: