Sunday 24 January 2010

Oh, the Timing was Perfect!

One evening, last week, as I was walking back to my apt. building from the academy, something happened.

I was walking up behind two youngish (20? 23?) Korean women. They were chatting with each other, in Korean, loud enough that, even from behind, I could hear them.

Just as I was about to pass them by, one spoke to the other--as in maybe "my friend said to me so I said to him . . ."--in a rather loud voice and in clear English. What she said was, "You son of a bitch."

At this point I was even with them/passing them, and, as the timing was perfect, I turned to them and mock exclaimed "What?" as if (I pretended) the insult had been said to me.

The young woman who had spoken the words covered her mouth with both hands, then said, in English, "I'm sorry!"

I was laughing too hard to reply, as I entered my building, but I did tell her it was "ok".

Funny, and I bet she considers her words more carefully in the future . . .

No comments: