Sunday 6 June 2010

A Little Bit of Wierdness

The other day I was at the ATM, just checking my account balance. To do this you have to open an outer door and enter into a small glass-walled room, where there are about 5 ATM machines.

I was in the middle of the process when I heard a Korean person speaking to me, or to my back. Though I live in what I consider one of the safest countries in the world, it does make me a bit nervous (naturally) when someone approaches me when I am using an ATM.

I looked over my shoulder and saw a middle-aged woman, who looked at me and said, in English, "Bus fare?"

I automatically said, "No", though more from someone wanting something from me when I was in the banking process than from an outright refusal of supposed charity.

I say "supposed" because this situation has never happened to me before. I mean, who goes into an ATM place soliciting money? And targets foreigners? There was a Korean woman in there at the time who was using an ATM and she was not asked for money. Only me.

And, as the woman who asked me for cash walked away, I could hear her muttering under her breath; I had the feeling I was roundly cussed out. Oh well.

No comments: