Sunday 1 August 2010

Sneaky Teacher and Genius Student

Back to my favorite class.

Ten kids, two textbooks, no spare time.

Ah, but I was able to go to class early, and there sat one girl, one of my most favorite students (always happy, cheerful, nice + smart), and I got an idea.

The class has 7 girls, 3 boys. 2nd grade students.

I wrote on the whiteboard:

TODAY IS BOY TEST DAY!

We thought that was great. I said (to my little student co-conspirator) , "Shh! Don't tell!"

She giggled, "Ok!"

When class time started and I walked in the door, I immediately said, "Ok, today is Boys' Test Day, so let's get started!"

The girls cheered, but one boy, Justin, said, "Mike has money!"

Money--always a big source of pride. I try to play it up and ask if I can have some, or ask what it is going to be used for. But first I always ask, "How much?", as counting in Korean vs. counting in English are two very different things.

"450 won!" was the total, 5 coins, about 45 cents, and I congratulated Mike on his exceedingly large stash.

Then Justin came up to me and said, jokingly, "Teacher, Mike give you money, we have girls' test?"

I thought that idea was both brilliant and hilarious, so I laughed.

Sometimes I wonder what these kids go home and tell their parents (moms) about me/class, but the important thing is that they are still there.

No comments: