Thursday 5 August 2010

Power Outage

Tonight, or rather this morning, we were hit with a power outage. My building shut down for the better part of an hour, except for emergency doorway lights (which almost made it worse).

I have lived in many cities, and in all of those cities that I can remember (in the U.S. and Japan), when it rained it was not unusual for the power to shut off.

It's not raining here right now.

When the power shuts off for no apparent reason in South Korea, people get alarmed, and for a good reason.

If you don't know why, then you aren't keeping up with your world events.

I heard what sounded like some of my neighbors evacuating their apartments.

I was apparently hungry, so I got up and ate some of my most spoil-able food--I made a salad, and ate it in the semi-darkness, with the emergency light reminding me with its shadows of what could be.

As of now, an hour and a half or so later, the power is back on.

That's good news.

No comments: