Saturday 15 October 2011

Healthy Snacks

Yesterday, Friday, I took two apples into my first class, a group of 5 first-grade girls who are advanced English speakers.  I told them it was snack day, and I was providing the healthy snack (they sometimes bring bread or other things).  I had a knife to quarter and core the apples, which I did.  Then, after asking one girl to hand out tissues to put their snacks on, I gave each girl a quarter piece of apple.

One girl looked at her large piece of apple, looked at me, and said, "Teacher, I don't have teeth."

This girl, cute as can be, is missing her upper front teeth (natural causes).

I responded, "Try biting it from the side," which I proceeded to (try to) do with my own piece.  Nope,wasn't going to work.  Those front teeth are more important than you might think.

I then cut her quarter piece into small slices.

Never had that problem before, but it represents one of the things I enjoy about teaching: there is always something new to learn.

No comments: