Sunday 22 January 2012

Advanced Class

I am fortunate to be teaching an advanced English class at our school.  Initially, I had only one student, a girl, who is very bright and creative.  We began by reading some of the condensed novels that my middle schoolers are reading (this girl is 12 years old and speaks fairly fluent English), but then switched to short story writing, as that is what she wanted to do.

I asked my student to type her story; initially her mother did it, but then my student took over the job of typing.  The girl has about 8 pages of typed text so far, quite an achievement.

A boy with similarly advanced English skills was added to the class, so I chose to go back to a reading format.  We started reading the "Harry Potter" series, but then I found out that both of the students had read it (the first book, in English) previously.

A bit frustrated, I did an internet search and came up with a 2010 children's literature award winner, "When You Reach Me".

Turns out they have both read the book, but only in Korean (I had no idea it had been translated so quickly). So we are continuing reading it in English.

Very intelligent kids!

No comments: