Saturday 12 May 2012

The Teaching Week

Tonight--Friday night--I ended with my lower-level middle school class, a class I usually stress about, which is not uncommon.  Middle school classes tend to have more problems--especially with respect to speaking Korean in class--than our 1st grade beginner classes.

However, for some reason, they were great tonight, which ended my week on a high note.  Cheers to them! (I did tell them that they did a super job with English, and I gave them candy.)

A few notes on the week:

Yesterday one of my students, a young, advanced, very talkative girl (she manages to say "Mr Spencer, . . . ." followed by a question, many times in each lesson), announced at the end of class that she wanted to drink some water.

"Why?" I asked.

"Because I'm thirsty" she said.

"Why are you thirsty?" I replied.

"Because I talk so much" she responded,  quite forthrightly.

In another class I showed some videos about animals' defensive measures, as well as methods of attack, as that is what they are reading about.  We also watched a video about ants' nests.  Check these out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozkBd2p2piU&noredirect=1

http://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/animals/invertebrates-animals/other-invertebrates/deadliest-velvet-worm/

Pretty cool . . .

A co-teacher's student had a bloody nose for the second time this week, and it was a mess.  Ick!

My students' plants are sprouting nicely, which is great to see.