Saturday 15 September 2012

Tricky Student

One of my advanced students, a 6th grade girl, was assigned to write an essay, and when she gave it to me, she said, "Teacher, isn't my handwriting good?"

Since we have talked about her handwriting before, it was a natural comment, so I looked at the writing paper I had given her (normally I ask her to type assignments, but she had told me the week before that her family's printer was out of ink).


I responded, "Your handwriting looks good . . . wait a minute--it's all the same!  You typed it . . . you changed the font!"

While I know teaching is a profession filled with "firsts"--something new happens all the time--never, ever have I had a student try to trick me like this.

She laughed and told me how she had changed the font and fed the writing paper through the printer.

Nice try!:)

P.S.  Yes, we did fix her grammar errors, especially the subject-verb inconsistency, errors she should not be making in the first place.