Tuesday 24 September 2013

Phone Number Pressure

The last few times that I have logged into Hotmail and Google, I have been asked to provide my mobile number "for security purposes".

Ha!  Give me a break!

In this day and age of NSA, hacking, international governmental thefts, etc., what bit of information on the internet is truly safe?

Hotmail seemed to threaten me with denial of services if I do not provide my mobile number; I have one week (well, less than that now) to give them that personal information, or else--?

I will not do so, for 2 main reasons:

     1) I do not believe that they can keep my personal information safe

     2) I believe they will use it (or sell it) for purposes other than that which they have told me

Google and Hotmail: I will not give you my mobile phone number, so stop asking.  Stop making me jump through hoops to reach my accounts, stop threatening me.

No comments: