Wednesday 9 October 2013

A Few Thoughts on Writing Practice in EFL Classes

Years ago, one of the first English academies that I taught at stipulated that teachers should have their EFL students (students in countries where English is not the native language) spend 20 minutes out of 1 hour doing writing practice.

In my current school, an English academy that focuses on spoken communication skills, that is clearly too much time to spend on writing (plus we have 50 minute classes).

However, some writing practice is needed, since, I believe--and most teachers would agree--writing reinforces speech, and both skills are needed for effective communication.

So, how much writing should we, as teachers, ask students to do in class?


1.  Enough so that we can see and correct patterns of error.

For example, I now have two classes that are using the English Time 4 textbook, and I teach the classes back-to-back.  The first class is new to me--9 students I started teaching about a month ago.  We are now working on past tense verbs, both regular and irregular, and I noticed that in the last class the new students had a medium amount of errors after they completed a writing exercise.

The second class, 9 old students, studying the same book, had fewer errors after completing the same exercise.

I am not blowing my own horn here, but simply noting that the class that I know has consistently done approximately 8 minutes of writing per class over a "long" period of time has shown better performance (note: I would have liked to have seen the reverse result, so that I could spend less class time on writing).

In either case, I need to see the students' writing so that I can view, as a whole class, how they are doing with respect to understanding the target language.  Call it a test, because that is how I view it; I don't do the book tests, because I think that time is better spent on daily writing exercises (and that is arguable; I would do both (tests and exercises) if I had more class time; in this case we are talking about Tuesday/Thursday classes, or two 50-minute classes per week with me, so I need all the time I can get).

(Note: I also stopped doing book tests because I started doing more vocabulary tests, which--when paired with writing exercises--I believe are more effective than book tests by themselves. I don't have enough class time to do all of the above.)


2. Enough so students understand the importance of writing.

We need to set the foundation early, so that students learn about neatness, punctuation, grammar, spacing, and all of the other things that are involved with correct writing.  Seemingly simple things like capital letters, periods, spacing, and so on are a consistent problem with my Korean students, and they need to be addressed consistently.

Students need to understand that writing can make them look strong or weak, that writing can open doors for creativity (I also practice story writing), and that listening and writing are connected (enter "dictation" and "gap fill" exercises).

Students need to also understand that writing is part of the classroom learning environment, and shouldn't be viewed in a negative manner.  A few other classes that I have not taught before have moaned and groaned a bit when I have told them to take out their notebooks, and I have actually reduced the writing time somewhat because I am worried about turning them off from English study before they get "acclimatized".

However, a class on a similar level that I have taught for a while understands that we practice speaking and listening, and we practice writing, and then, if we have time, we will do a vocabulary game or some other activity for variety and interest.  I may sound like a boring and strict teacher, but when I first asked them to do dictation in pairs, in the first grade--when I thought they weren't ready for it but I wanted to check--the students surprised me with their ability and their use of classroom language:

   *Can you repeat that?     *How do you spell  _____?       *One more time please?

They get right into the exercise, and some of them hurriedly exchange notebooks and check each other's writing and spelling.

Wow!

I also like to have students write on the whiteboard frequently, in part so I can (kindly but effectively) critique their handwriting, grammar, etc.  Peer pressure can be an amazing thing.


3. Be flexible.  Adjust.  Maintain a certain level.

I want my students to write every class, and to write for one of their homework activities.  Yet, of course, I don't want them to get burnt out.

However, sometimes it is a fine line, I think, because one day of no writing activity can have students complaining the next class.

I thought about that today as I was preparing for tomorrow's classes.  How much is too much? What will the students think?  How will they react?

20 minutes per class?  No--there is no minute marker.  As teachers, we all know that every class can be different in mood and character, and time spent on activities--such as writing--has to be adjusted.  However, a little writing is better than none, and if I can manage a consistent amount of time spent on writing then (time has shown) my students are better adjusted, learn more, and remember more.

Just some thoughts to share:)


No comments: