Thursday 30 January 2014

Lunar New Year Holiday

This Thursday and Friday are national holidays in Korea due to the lunar new year.

Most of my students are going to their grandparents' home for the holidays, and we talked a little bit about who is going to travel the farthest, the idea of traffic (it can be horrendous on the highways as Seoul experiences a massive exodus), etc.

One of my 4th graders asked in class if I was going to my parents home for the holidays.  I had forgotten that some of them don't have a good perspective on world geography and travel.

I said, "Amy, it takes one day for me to fly to America, and one day to come back to Korea, so I can't visit them in 4 days.  We use Skype."

I showed them on the classroom map how far apart Korea and America are.

"Wow!" they chorused.

I will be interested to hear their travel stories when the students return next week.

No comments: