Sunday 30 March 2014

Children's Day Presents

May 5th in Korea is Children's Day, a national holiday.

It is a day when many children go with their parents (including the father, whom they sometimes seldom see, but that is a different post) to a park, a restaurant, an amusement park, etc.

Many children get a gift of one kind or another.

Last week one of my 6th grade students said, "Teacher, last night I asked my mother for a Children's Day present."

I awaited the response, kind of knowing what it was going to be, since I have heard it from students before.

The 6th grade student continued, "But my mother said, "You are not a child!"  I was so sad."

I asked some 5th grade students about that remark, and they confirmed it, saying that as 5th graders this was the last year that they could expect to receive a present.

Not all that different from Western cultures, is it?

However, it's still a bit of a shock when thrown in your face . . .

No comments: