Saturday 12 April 2014

Doctor's Visit

One of the nice things about living in Korea is the affordability of the health care.  Through my English academy I co-pay about $75 a month to be part of the national health plan (unfortunately, a lot of people aren't on it, though the current government is working to extend coverage).

For the third time in maybe 5 years I developed a sinus infection, partly due to kids coughing and sneezing in class and partly due to the spring weather (a lot of dusty/dirty air this year).

So I went back to the same doctor and--after having a camera inserted into my nostrils ("Don't move; this might be painful")--was prescribed a round of antibiotics and antihistamines (or something similar).  Then they flushed out my nasal passages with saline and packed me off to the pharmacy next door.

Doctor's visit = $4.00
Medicine = $4.50

Now, I will have to pay that same amount again as I have to return to the doctor and have my prescription extended, but, still, $20?  That's terrific!

Granted, I have been paying into the national medical chest without using most of that money, but I am more than pleased with the way the system works, especially knowing that I have that system as an insurance policy should I need it.

No comments: