Sunday 10 May 2015

Children's Day

Last Tuesday was "Children's Day" in Korea, and I asked some of my older elementary students about it, though I was really trying to get their opinions.

This started last year when one 6th grade girl told me, after asking her parents about a Children's Day present, that her mother said, "You're in sixth grade. You're not a child."

Typically, in Korea, children get a present on Children's Day--which falls on May 5th.  They might get a new ____, go to an amusement park, visit their grandparents (or other relatives) and receive money, etc.

So I asked my 5th and 6th grade students, "When do you stop getting a Children's Day present?"

The most common answer was that in sixth grade you are a child, but once you go to middle school   (in seventh grade) you are not a child.

No comments: